Re: Free Documentation License

On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 04:54:20AM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Jordi wrote:
> > Should this new license be included in base-files?
>
> That seems very premature. Best wait until
>
> 1) It is a common-license
> 2) debian-legal has vetted it
>
> Personally, I have to wonder if this type of thing is DFSG-free:

Since it doesn't apply to software, that's a non-issue.

It does, once again, re-raise the issue of whether we need to a)
extend the DFSG to cover documentation, or b) establish some kind of
debian guidelines for acceptable document licenses.

Note that we do include a variety of textual works (documents) whose
license doesn't comply with the DFSG.

[As an aside the quoted problem isn't a restriction on use, it's a
restriction on printing --- i.e. copying --- and it only requires you
to acknowledge something, which we normally say is fine.  But I didn't
look closely yet].

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable