Re: Object code vs source code

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 08:52:01AM +1100, Don Sanders wrote:
> Okay, in this case I would maintain that even though the object code
> is not a work based on the source code it is still a literary work in
> its own right, and the creator of the object code owns the copyright
> to the object code.
>
> As the object code didn't come with a license it is under no license
> and hence permission to modify, distribute, etc it has not been given.
> (The same as the previous gnu grep example).

This doesn't make sense -- the Judge decided that the apple roms were not
eligible for copyright protection because they weren't a translation of
the source code.  He didn't decide that the weren't a translation but
that they were still eligible for protection.

> I should note that the copyright lawyer I've been talking to believes
> that the object code is a derivative work of the source code but he
> doesn't have much time to look into it.

My guess would be that the apple roms didn't get copyright protection
because to be compatible with the apple roms you had to make an exact
copy -- the roms were the ABI, and they were being sold as hardware
by Apple.  This would mean that the roms were a functional work and not
a literary work.

That's what makes sense to me based on the arguments presented in the
case, but that doesn't quite agree with the way the judge expressed
his opinion.

--
Raul