Re: UCITA bans GPL

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 04:47:10PM -0500, William T Wilson wrote:
> We all know that UCITA alters the requirements for warranties on software
> - making free software providers responsible for providing warranties, but
> exempting commercial software providers from this requirement.

Note that the UCITA is not law, and there's a lot of people who think it
would be a bad idea for it to be made law (attorney generals of about half
the states, the senior staff of the federal trade commission, the motion
picture association of america, the newspaper association of america,
the association of research libraries and a number of computer oriented
groups, such as the ACM and the FSF).

Note that the UCITA makes it legal to hide the terms of an agreement
until after you make payment.

Note that the UCITA makes it legal to consider accessing a product as
consent to its terms.

Note that the UCITA makes it illegal to even discuss product flaws.
[This would probably be ruled unconstitutional, even if the UCITA passes,
but that would take a lot of time and dedication on someone's part].

> I believe that this law could be construed as banning distribution of GPL
> software.  This is good!

How does this benefit you?

--
Raul