Re: ITP: vice and vice-roms

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 10:13:44PM -0600, Zed Pobre wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 09:36:05PM -0600, David Starner wrote:
> > Moving to Debian-Legal...
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 08:11:49PM -0600, Zed Pobre wrote:
> > > I've been having a conversation with the
> > > upstream authors of VICE, and they believe that the rights to those
> > > firmware ROMs have been released.
> >
> > Released? By whom? And how? Copyright law is usually very explict -
>
>     By Commodore, presumably when the company ceased to exist.

Didn't they sell the rights to them, or transfer them to some
debtor?

> > copyright transfers must be in writting, and you can't lose
> > copyright just by ignoring abuses of it.
>
>     How about by ceasing to exist?

IIRC, ceasing to exist just takes the copyrights with you, and no one
has the right to use them. (All at once, "We love the copyright laws!
We love the copyright laws!" (-: )

> BTW, if you're making a posting only to debian-legal, make sure to CC
> me on it, since I'm not subscribed.

Okay. Realize I'm just a noisy observer, and have never gotten around
to actually being a maintainer, so someone else more authoritive ought
to speak up.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
Only a nerd would worry about wrong parentheses with