Re: Heart of the debate

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 12:02:31PM -0500, Andreas Pour wrote:
> I think this is where you went off-track. Section 2 only refers to
> source code distributions (as it requires the modifications to be
> distributed under Section 1 and Section 1 deals only with source
> code).

I disagree.

Section 0 includes the text:
<quote>
(Hereinafter, translation is included without limitation in
the term "modification".)
</quote>

Section 2 begins:
<quote>
  2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and
distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1
above, provided ...
</quote>

Since executables are a translation of the source, the provisions of
section 2 also apply to executables.

--
Raul