Re: x3270 licenses

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Brian Ristuccia wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 02:50:37PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > Remember that we're talking about fonts. In this case "use"
> > entails reproducing the artistic contents of the font, that
> > is, the lettershapes - so IMO use of a font must be considered
> > form of copying.

> Running a program involves copying it from disk into memory :)

Yes, but the copy thus produced is not distributed, so I think
the "fair use" argument is stronger in that case.

> I recall a precedent here in the US where a document was not
> infected by the copyright on the fonts used therein. It seemed
> to say that so long as you've lawfully aquired a font, you're
> free to use it when typesetting any documents you like.

Well, I can't argue with that. But I'm happy for not being the
judge who - in these days of digital typesetting - must decide
when something is an alternative representation of a font and
when it is just a document which happens to contain every letter
in the alphabet and enough text to exhibit a selection of common
kerning pairs...

--
Henning Makholm