Re: New ways to evade copyright law (was Re: Vicarious liblity (was: KDE not in Debian?))

There is one way you can redistribute copyrighted works within the law.

Paraphrase them, and cite them.

Its done in schools every day and is perfectly legal.

If you take a paragraph of a book, and rewrite its meaning, cite the
original source in a bilbiography, and pass it on, that is perfectly
within the law. Similarly, you could take written software code, write the
specfications down, and send that instead of the original code (to get
around any liscensing issues).

Trying to claim random chance as a reason for a copyright violation is a
little like saying you had ten chimps randomly type up Hamlet in one week.
While theoretically possible, noone would take you seriously, and law is
all about being taken seriously. Similarly, you won't convince twelve
jurours that sendmail accidentally sent out 50,000 emails, which when put
together in reverse order and rot13'd, for example, inadvertently became
Applied Cryptography.

---
David Graham
canada@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca, canada@ishmael.geecs.org, dgraham@uoguelph.ca
GEECS.org administrator, CSClub.cis.uoguelph.ca administrator, frosh, BComp
This .signature is dynamically rebuilt 1440 times a day.
At Group L, Stoffel oversees six first-rate programmers, a managerial
challenge roughly comparable to herding cats.
		-- The Washington Post Magazine, 9 June, 1985

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Seth David Schoen wrote:

[...]