Re: kde in debian

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 09:08:21PM +0100, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> many people pointed out, that kde uses code (other than qt) from third sources.
> i thought so, too. at the time of kde beta 3 i read every single file of kde
> to ensure there are no problems, and there were very few programs with code
> from third party sources.
>
> so, you can look at my last kde package, i don´t think there very many new
> packages in the kde core with 3rd party sources.
>
> do you need me to look at every single file of kde to ensure there are no
> 3rd party sources in the kde core with potential for licence problems ?
> my guess is: they rewrote much code from the scratch, so there is far less
> 3rd party code in kde.
>
> if some app is open source, debian should allow it to go in.
> no matter whether it uses gtk or kde or qt. lgpl´ed code is
> no problem, gpl´ed code with the statement from all authors
> to allow linking with qt is also fine. (-> corel use of dpkg/apt).
>
> how can i help ?

Looking at http://kde.tdyc.com, I see Ivan E. Moore II
<rkrusty@debian.org> listed as the debian contact for kde packaging.
Best thing to do is contact him.

Biggest issue to be solved, to my knowledge, is fixing up
/usr/doc/<packagename>/copyright files so that they're complete and
accurate [or, where software doesn't meet DFSG: pull the program from
the package].

--
Raul