Re: bibindex should probably be GPLed.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> Do I have really to relicense the whole even if the original code have had
> nothing to do in the past with my Readline additions?  One could ponder that
> only _my_ part of the work is based on Readline.  I will really appreciate
> if someone could confirm/second Santiago's point here: am I not allowed to
> just release _my_ modifications under the GPL, leaving the rest in the
> public domain?  Could someone please point to me the relevant part of GPL
> that states that?

    The original work, sans readline support, will remain in the PD.  You
can distribute it by itself, as PD.  The version with readline support is
a derivative work of the readline library, and thus is no longer in the PD
(the authors of readline have a copyright interest in it).    Thus, that
version must be released under the GPL.
    I don't know if you're laboring under the common misconception that a
work (and all variants) must be uniformly licensed.  You don't have to
"relicense" anything here. Releasing a version under GPL has zero effect
on other released versions (or even the same version distributed to
someone else).
    There should be a FAQ for these things.

Lynn