Re: Uploaded mirror 2.9-13slink15 (source all) to master

  Dirk> * Adopt potato postinst which applies patches at installation time
  Dirk> to be in line with somewhat peculiar mirror license.

  Santiago>  I don't want to be nitpick, but if patches have to be applied at
  Santiago> installation time, then it's non-free.

I think I disagree, so does the rest of Debian, at least those who look at
potato, as we have done this since 2.9-6 released in August.  We started this
when the ls-lR patches by Ian Maclaine-cross needed to be applied.

Mirror has a peculiar (but badly worded) license with a special clause for us
which enabled us to move it from non-free to main with the 2.9 release.

However, the author wants to prevent proliferation of modified mirror sources
and therefore asks for distribution of patches.

I am *absolutely no desire, time or energy* to re-enter this license
debate. If someone wants to discuss this with Lee, be my guest.

I attach the debian/copyright file below for reference.

Regards, Dirk

This is the Debian GNU/Linux prepackaged version of the mirror utility.
Mirror was written by Lee McLoughlin <lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk>.

This package was put together by Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@qed.econ.queensu.ca>
from the sources obtained from
	ftp://sunsite.org.uk/packages/mirror/mirror-2.9.tar.gz

Some small changes were made for this Debian GNU/Linux release; they are
fully documented in the file /usr/share/doc/mirror/changelog.Debian.gz.

The following copyright is provided in the file copyright.html:

   Copyright © 1990 - 1998 Lee McLoughlin

   Permission to use, copy, and distribute this software and its
   documentation for any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted,
   provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
   both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
   supporting documentation.

   Permission to modify the software is granted, but not the right to
   distribute the modified code. Modifications are to be distributed as
   patches to released version.

   This software is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.

and the following email [ from which some parts have been omitted ] provides
further clarification: