Re: Release-critical Bugreport for January 7, 2000

Scripsit Mike Markley <mike@markley.org>

> If I'm reading this snippet correctly, all it's saying is that the images
> and other data can't be distributed w/o the GPL'd source code. I'm not
> entirely sure on whether or not this fits w/the DFSG... glancing thru the
> DFSG I don't see why it's a problem.

DFSG requires that modifications are permitted. One possible form of
modification would be to remove everything but the images and data
you talk about.

> >   The artwork and sounds used by Maelstrom are copyright Ambrosia Software
> >   (http://www.ambrosiasw.com) and may not be redistributed separately from
> >   the Maelstrom public GPL release.

This language also prohibit more mundane forms of modifications. It
seems to me that even minor bugfixes are prohibited, because the
program is then not the "release" the note talks about.

--
Henning Makholm             "Jeg forstår mig på at anvende sådanne midler på
                           folks legemer, at jeg kan varme eller afkøle dem,