Re: bladeenc

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 03:26:07PM -0400, Brian Ristuccia wrote:
> > The Netherlands, which should be safe. I'm not sure how having an mp3-encode
> > on non-US will influence our mirrors though.
>
> As soon as I figure out how to use dupload, it should be there.

That's fine except that you were not the one who ITP'd it first.

Second you live in a country in which a lawsuit is possible (and likely)
for distributing mp3 encoders without paying royalties.

Third, you managed to upload it to the OTHER country which for certain
would allow their lawyers to sue rather than pandora, the only server you
could safely and legally upload it to.

Fourth, there is an active discussion as to whether or not we can
distribute packages of this thing in even our non-US archive on pandora
without risking Bad Things for us and our mirrors on the legal front.

Fifth, well there is no fifth, but I wanted five anyway..  =>

In short you boo-boo'd.  Fortunately while your boo-boo is a potentially
big one, the packages will probably be removed before their lawyers send
us a "friendly" letter telling us to start paying them or they'll see us
in court...  That is if you don't fix it yourself by deleting those files
from incoming.  Sorry if I seemed harsh above---I want mp3 encoders in
Debian as much as anyone.  It's just no good to anyone if we don't do it
very carefully and cover our arses.

p.s. - i'm about *this* close to running around in the server room with a
pair of bolt cutters, and a large wooden mallet, laughing like a maniac and
cutting everything i can fit the bolt cutters around. and whacking that
which i cannot. so if i seem semi-incoherent, or just really *really* nasty
at times, please forgive me. stress is not a pretty thing. };P
        -- Phillip R. Jaenke