Re: licence of CommAPI from Sun

Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org> writes:

> > 1.  License to Distribute. You are granted a royalty-free right to
> > reproduce and distribute the Software provided that you:
[..]
> > (ii) do not distribute additional software intended to
> > replace any component(s) of the Software;

> This looks like it would prevent Debian from distributing a free
> (clean room) implementation of the Java Communications API. Or could
> non-free be considered as a separate distribution?

I don't think that matters. The clause restricts what "you" can do at
all, and does not specify that it only applies to what "you" does
in "the same distribution".

Remark also condition (i):

| (i)distribute the Software complete and unmodified, only as part of,
| and for the sole purpose of running, your Java applet or application
| ("Program") into which the Software is incorporated;

which directly prevents Debian from distributing the library as a
stand-alone package.

--
Henning Makholm