Re: licence of CommAPI from Sun

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 11:47:04AM +0200, Christian Leutloff wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> here is the licence from Sun for the CommAPI extension of the Java
> language. Most of the problematic parts of this licence are
> overwritten in the second part of the licence. So please, read the
> whole before you judge over it.
(The part I am quoting is from the second part, see
<http://java.sun.com/products/javacomm/index.html> for the complete license.)

> Will it be possible to place the package in non-free? If yes, I'm
> willing to package it.
>
> Please CC your messages to debian-legal to me. Thanks.
(I have also CCed the classpath mailing list since they might have more info)

> <------------------ COMM2.0_license.txt:
>  [...]
> 1.  License to Distribute. You are granted a royalty-free right to reproduce
> and distribute the Software provided that you: (i)distribute the Software
> complete and unmodified, only as part of, and for the sole purpose of
> running, your Java applet or application ("Program") into which the Software
> is incorporated; (ii) do not distribute additional software intended to
> replace any component(s) of the Software; (iii) do not remove or alter any
> proprietary legends or notices contained in the Software; (iv) only
> distribute the Program subject to a license agreement that protects Sun's
> interests consistent with the terms contained herein; (v) may not create,
> or authorize your licensees to create additional classes, interfaces, or
> subpackages that are contained in the "java", "javax" or "sun" packages
> or similar as specified by Sun in any class file naming convention;
> and (vi) agree to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend
> Sun and its licensors from and against any claims or lawsuits, including
> attorneys' fees, that arise or result from the use or distribution of the
> Program.
> [...]

This looks like it would prevent Debian from distributing a free (clean room)
implementation of the Java Communications API. Or could non-free be considered
as a separate distribution?

Is there already an free replacement?
A quick look at the Javadoc seems to indicate that it would
not be that much work. But I have never seen this API before.

Cheers,

Mark