Re: DFSG And Trademarks

On Friday 18 June 1999, at 0 h 41, the keyboard of Jeff Licquia <jeff@luci.org>
 wrote:

> The code itself is GPL, so DFSG compliance isn't a problem.  However,
> the vendors have trademarked the words "CUPS", "Common UNIX Printing
> System", and possibly a few others I'm forgetting.  The license page
> (http://www.cups.org/LICENSE.html) has this gem:
>
>   "Also, since we have trademarked the Common UNIX Printing System,
>   CUPS, and CUPS logo, you may not release a derivative product using
>   those names without permission from Easy Software Products."

I believe that several packages in main have a licence which forces any modified version to use another name. (TeX is a typical example.) This is not itself a violation of DFSG (it is even explicitely authorized in article 4), IMHO.

In practice, if you fork and start a new CUPS, with the same code base, you will not want to use the same name, anyway.