Re: DFSG And Trademarks

On Jun 18, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> The code itself is GPL, so DFSG compliance isn't a problem.  However,
> the vendors have trademarked the words "CUPS", "Common UNIX Printing
> System", and possibly a few others I'm forgetting.  The license page
> (http://www.cups.org/LICENSE.html) has this gem:
>
>   "Also, since we have trademarked the Common UNIX Printing System,
>   CUPS, and CUPS logo, you may not release a derivative product using
>   those names without permission from Easy Software Products."
>
> I asked for a clarification from them, and got a response that talked
> about "configuration" of the source being permitted.  On one level,
> that could mean that they're giving you permission to run
> './configure'; OTOH, I was talking about the possible need to change
> CUPS to conform to Debian policy, which could get into some major
> "configuration".  They have promised to clarify the license, but they
> haven't so far.

This is also an issue with other things, like AbiWord.  The abiword
package in unstable is actually "AbiWord Personal"; AbiSource provides
binary Debian packages (via alien, bleech) for Alpha and Intel (which
leaves our other three architectures out in the cold).  Who does the
building determines what the program can be called, which seems rather
contrary to the spirit of the DFSG, if nothing else...

Of course, I can build an identical CD image to the Official (Debian)
CD, but I'm wouldn't be allowed to call it the Official CD.  So even
within Debian there are issues.

Chris
|          Chris Lawrence         |       Get your Debian 2.1 CD-ROMs       |
|     <quango@watervalley.net>    |        http://www.lordsutch.com/        |
|     Grad Student, Pol. Sci.     |     Do you want your bank to snoop?     |
|    University of Mississippi    |    http://www.defendyourprivacy.com/    |