Re: CDF ?

On Sun, Jun 06, 1999 at 12:41:36PM +0300, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> "The CDF software, documentation, and user support services are provided
> by NASA and available to the public free of charge. There are no license
> agreements or costs involved in obtaining or using CDF."
>
> Would that be any good? CDF support would be nice as many data files -in an
> extra package- are in this format. Instead of putting them in non-free, it
> would be far better to include them in main.

In the case of NASA, being US government, I think that license may be a
poorly worded "this work is Public Domain"...  I may be wrong though,
especially given that it's 03:48 here, so don't quote me on that.

If I'm wrong, there is not permission to distribute, though you should
thwack some people because they clearly MEANT to provide that permission
but we aren't allowed to assume it.  Another case of people writing
licenses without being aware of the issues involved first---or would be
if anyone at NASA actually stopped to consider Free Software at all,
which may or may not have happened.

<lux> if macOS is for the computer illiterate, then windoze is for the
      computer masochists