Re: freedomization task list [was: Re: Dangerous precedent being

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 01:58:44PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> The license contained in the copy is just bits. Can bits make legal
> promises in American law? They certainly can't over here.

American copyright law says nothing specific about bits, though it does
have quite a bit to say about what the bits represent.

Certainly, a copyrighted work doesn't suddenly slip by the law because
it's represented as bits.  And, I think that courts would take a dim
view of anyone who tried to claim that bits were somehow out of their
jurisdiction.

--
Raul