Re: Is Qt1.4 compatible with (L)GPL?

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 12:42:54PM +0100, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
> Where can I find informations about QT/KDE license incompatibility?

in the qt licenses.

> dexter@purple$ more /usr/doc/libqt1g/copyright
> [...]
>       You accept this license.
>       Your software does not require modifications to Qt Free Edition.
                               This in itself conflicts the GPL

>       You satisfy ONE of the following three requirements
>       EITHER
>             Users of your software can freely obtain source code for the
>             software, freely modify the source code (possibly with
>             restrictions on copyright notices, attributions and legal
>             responsibility), and freely redistribute original or modified
>             versions of the software.
>       OR
>             Your software is distributed under the GNU GENERAL
>             PUBLIC LICENSE, version 2 or later, as defined by the
>             Free Software Foundation.
	      This doesn't excuse the fact that the license is
	      not GPL compatible.  In fact it creates a paradox
	      where the Qt license says you can do something and
	      the GPL says you can't.  Because of how the GPL says
	      you can't, you can't.

>       OR
>             Your software is distributed under the GNU LIBRARY
>             GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE, version 2 or later, as
>             defined by the Free Software Foundation.
	      LGPL is okay, but only for contrib.

	      Have a loog at libqt2, you can LGPL code linked
	      with qt2 and put it in main.  It's still not going
	      to be compatible with the GPL but it no longer
	      pretends it is as qt1's license does above.

	      Troll Tech hasn't expressed any desire to make qt2
	      compatible with the GPL.  It was hoped that the
	      people at Corel might have their lawyers look at
	      the QPL and talk to Troll Tech---hopefully to
	      convince them to fix the QPL/GPL issue.  They've
	      not done so however (or they haven't told us they
	      have even considered it..)

> [...]
>
> What doesn't mean? Is it possible to release QT-based application
> on GPL license or not?

GPL no.  LGPL yes.

--
- Joseph Carter         GnuPG public key:   1024D/DCF9DAB3, 2048g/3F9C2A43
- knghtbrd@debian.org   20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3