Re: picasm license

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 10:53:20PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@beer.com> writes:
>
> > What is wrong with picasm license ?
>
> There is none, according to the package search engine on
> www.debian.org... Hm, it currently it does not seem to know
> any copyright files at all. Hard to hold that against an
> individual package.
>
> OK, then digging out the 5-line license statement from the source
> tarball:
>
> |        Copyright 1995-1996 by Timo Rossi
> |
> |  Freely distributable for non-commercial use (basically,
> |  don't sell this program without my permission. You can
> |  use it for developing commercial PIC applications, but
> |  of course I am not responsible for any damages caused by
> |  this assembler generating bad code or anything like that)
>
> It does not allow selling copies of the program. It does not allow
> commercial use. It does not allow modified version.

This is non-free license. But why do I have /usr/doc/picasm/copyright:

--- start ---
This package was debianized by Samuel Tardieu sam@debian.org on
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 13:01:43 +0100.

It was downloaded from http://www.iki.fi/trossi/pic/

Upstream Author(s): Timo Rossi <trossi@iki.fi>

Copyright:

        Copyright 1995-1998 by Timo Rossi.  All rights reserved.

  This package (The picasm PIC assembler) can be freely distributed,
  in source or binary form, unmodified or modified, as long as
  the following conditions are met:

  1. All redistributions must include this license text and the original
     copyright notices and disclaimers.

  2. Modified versions must be clearly marked as such, and must not
     be misrepresented as being the original software.

  3. You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of
     this package.  You may charge any fee you choose for support of
     this package.  You may not charge a fee for this package itself.
     However, you may distribute this package in aggregate with other
     (possibly commercial) programs as part of a larger (possibly
     commercial) software distribution provided that you do not
     advertise this package as a product of your own.

  a "reasonable copying fee" is whatever you can justify on the
  basis of media cost, duplication charges, time of people involved
  and so on.  (You will not be required to justify it to the
  copyright holder, but only to the computing community at large
  as a market that must bear the fee)

  THIS PROGRAM IS PROVIDED `AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
  WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
  MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.