Re: Bruce Perens's Slashdot debacle

On Dec 04, Frank Copeland wrote:
> Chris Lawrence wrote:

> >> Slashdot ain't the media, conventional or otherwise. Nobody published a
> >> story.
> >
> >This isn't a story?
> >
> >http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=99/11/26/1450245&mode=thread
>
> Nope. It's someone starting a thread in a discussion group by forwarding a
> message from another discussion group. It happens all the time in newsgroups
> and mailing lists. Characterising Slashdot as "the media" and trying to put
> the blame on them for not applying irrelevant journalistic standards is an
> exercise in messenger-assassination.

Yes, but the top level of Slashdot isn't a "thread"; it's an article.
And it is moderated, because only certain people can approve stories
for the front page.

This isn't the first time /. has gone off half-cocked, turning five
lines of text into a flamefest.  The people there need to start
exercising some quality control on what they post, instead of jumping
on the first message in a thread in a mailing list.

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence         |            Visit my home page!            |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>    |      http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/      |
|       Debian Developer        |    Are you tired of politics as usual?    |
|    http://www.debian.org/     |             http://www.lp.org/            |