Re: Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL

From: Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>
> What sort of obligation?

To comply with the licenses of our software.

> It'd be nice if they'd get around to contributing all their enhancements
> back to Debian. That's a bit tricky since new-maintainers doesn't seem to
> have reopened yet, and it requires doing stuff that's not going to help
> their bottomline in any particularly obvious way.

Actually, I think all of their source code is on their FTP site. I don't
think it's necessary for them to become Debian maintainers, they only need
to make the code available.

> It'd be nice if they'd send their lawyers to this list so that they can
> explain wtf is going on

It's called "too much CYA". I discussed the CYA issue with attorneys
today at a licensing meeting. The problem is that there is no case law
concerning Open Source licensing, and everybody has their own concept of
CYA because they have no idea what _will_ happen.  But this one is going
over the top. If they want to restrict to over 18, they should remove
all of the code written by minors from Debian before they distribute it.

	Bruce