Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 15:11:23 -0800
From: John Muller <johnmuller@earthlink.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <cni-copyright@cni.org>
Subject: Copyright Office Notice on Anti-Circumvention

I haven't seen this news posted here, apologies if it already has been:

On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, the Copyright Office published a
Notice of Inquiry inviting public comment on whether "there are classes
of works as to which users are, or are likely to be, adversely affected
in their ability to make noninfringing uses if they are prohibited from
circumventing such technological measures."  The Librarian of Congress
has authority to exempt such classes of works from the anti-circumvention
prohibition in Section 1201(a) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act,
which goes into effect on 10/28/2000.

The full text of the Federal Register release and other related info is
available at http://www.loc.gov/copyright/1201/anticirc.html.  Comments
are due by February 10, 2000.

John Muller
johnmuller@earthlink.net
jmuller@brobeck.com
"The ladder of law has no top and no bottom"