Re: is this free?

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 07:56:29PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> > it discriminates against people without regular internet access.
>
> 1. The IBM and Apple licenses also ask for you to have a URL where your
>    modifications can be found. I suspect things under those licenses are
>    already accepted into main. This is specificaly negociated _for_debian_
>    from IBM and Apple's previous policy, which required email with _every_
>    modification.

This requirement, which is essentially a requirement that modifications
must be broadcast, is very different from the AT&T requirement that
anyone who uses the software is responsible for monitoring a web site.

> 2. Many people are capable of putting something on the web for you if you
>    mail them a floppy. I'd do it if asked. I also give out free web sites
>    to worthy causes, as do many people. So I don't think that regular internet
>    access is a true barrier, and there are few places left in the world where
>    irregular access can not be had.

This has nothing to do with the AT&T requirement.

> 3. I think it's _really_ stretching the point, anyway.
>
> 4. It's not a usage fee, and usage fees _would_ run awry of the DFSG.

It sounds like you're thinking of a different license's requirements
here, for "it".

--
Raul