Re: SNNS: does it really belong into non-free?

Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:

> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > Siggy Brentrup wrote:
> > > According to Joey the offending section is:
> > >
> > >  4. If you distribute copies of SNNS you may not charge anything
> > >     except the cost for the media and a fair estimate of the costs of
> > >     computer time or network time directly attributable to the
> > >     copying.
> >
> > And he is right!
> >          Free means also I can take SNNS, burn it on the CD and sell it for
> > 1000$. The above snippet prevents this.
>
> Well, if the above were diluted a bit it would be as
> DFSG-compliant as the Artistic license (e.g. You will not be
> required to justify it to the Copyright Holder, but only to the
> computing community at large as a market that must bear the fee.)

After reading Peter's e.g. twice, I finally get what he means (not
your fault :) and think that might be acceptable keeping the CR
holder's intent.

If some native english speaker can come up with a precise wording,
I'll email the authors politely (in german) summarizing why the DFSG
(IIRC the license is older than the DFSG) forces SNNS into non-free
and suggesting an acceptable way to get it back into main.

Cato-ly-yoUr's
	Siggy
--
Siggy Brentrup - bsb@north.de - http://www.north.de/~bsb/