Re: Is the GPL free?

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 09:27:41PM -0200, Cesar Eduardo Barros wrote:
> Something odd is going on. GPL'ed programs are free (according to the DFSG),
> but the GPL itself is not?

That is correct.. and known.

> I can see two possible solutions:
>
> 1. Move the entire /usr/share/common-licenses and all the non-DFSG
>    /usr/{,share}/doc/*/copyright files to a non-free package.
>
> 2. (IMNSHO the best option) Add an exception to the DFSG saying that the
>    license files do not need to comply with item 3 (the license file is part of
>    the source packages after all).

Why?  that's all overkill.  DFSG doesn't dictate what goes into main, the
policy document does.  Policy uses DFSG as the yardstick to measure a piece
of software's worthiness.  Check for Policy to see if the GPL is allowed in
main.

> The usual disclaimers apply; I'm not a Debian developer, and I'm not subscribed
> to the lists.

The usual answers apply: check the list archives to find this issue
discussed...