Re: NcFTP is free again?

At 01:41 AM 10/1/99 , Chris Lawrence wrote:
I just downloaded the source code and can't find an actual license
anywhere.

The missing LICENSE file was an oversight, in my haste to get something out to the Win32 version testers.

Here's the problem with betas 1 to 19: NcFTP includes as one of the components, LibNcFTP. This library is also sold as a separate stand-alone product. It can't be GPL because my customers use it in proprietary in-house applications which they can't publish complete source code for.

For beta 20, the plan had been originally to continue to use LibNcFTP as a restricted-use component, but I'm leaning towards making LibNcFTP free across the board. So for beta 21, there will be a minimal LICENSE file which will state that the whole package is free and additionally the LibNcFTP section of the website will be updated to reflect that the separate component is also free. That is, unless I change my mind again.

Incidentally, ncftp 2 core dumps after using ncftp 3 (the prefs files
apparently confuse it); maybe we should fix that...

It's probably easier to have 3 use a different prefs file. There are a surprising number of people who use both 2 and 3 simultaneously.

Mike Gleason