[from -devel] Re: all rights reserved

On Sep 09, Itai Zukerman wrote:
> I've come across the following in one file of an otherwise GPL'ed set
> of code:
>
>   /* simple password generator by XXX
>    * copyright 1991, all rights reserved.
>    * You can use this code as long as my name stays with it.
>    */
>
> The file builds into a stand-alone utility which is not crucial to the
> package (it just takes a command-line argument and invokes crypt(3),
> displaying the result).
>
> I'm worried that this file does not satisfy the DFSG.
>
> Would that restrict me from uploading the entire package source?  Or
> only from including the utility in the binary package?
>
> If this is a FAQ, then please point me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks,
> -itai, newbie

The third line seems to indicate that you can use it, so long as you
don't remove XXX's name, so it is DFSG-compliant.  I think.

[CC'd to debian-legal for their opinions]

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence        |             The Linux/m68k FAQ             |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>   |   http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html   |
|    Amiga A4000 604e/233Mhz   |     Join the party that opposed the CDA    |
|     with Linux/APUS 2.2.8    |             http://www.lp.org/             |