Re: Fields of Endeavor (was Re: [Fwd: Intent to package: pm3])

Mike Goldman wrote:
> Cannot the DFSG be considered in similar terms - that an arbitrary
> restriction upon liberty of use must be disqualifying, yet a
> restriction for the purpose of ensuring respect for life and
> property may be not only allowed but in certain cases even
> encouraged?

You forgot to translate the analogy back to free software :-) We do
interpret the DFSG in exactly this way: a restriction that _protects
freedom of software_ is allowed and encouraged.  As an example, I
don't think the DFSG (taken literally) has room for the GPL's
requirements for distributing source code.

Note that I changed your wording a bit.  I think that "for the purpose
of" is far too permissive; the restrictions have to actually
accomplish their goal.  Of course, this is hard to determine
objectively, so we have to use our collective judgement.

Richard Braakman