Re: Fields of Endeavor (was Re: [Fwd: Intent to package: pm3])

Mike Goldman wrote:
> On the other hand, perhaps I do not wish for my software to be used
> by certain governments for "military" purposes - which are by
> definition "legal", yet just as clearly destructive.

Suppose a government did use your program to design explosive devices,
which they use to put down a rebellion.  What exactly do you expect to
accomplish by suing them?  As you noted, governments can make their
own law.  (Also, why only _certain_ governments?)

I'd also like to point out that "military purposes", like any other
field of endeavour, will include many things you hadn't thought of and
may not have intended to forbid.  One famous "military purpose" was
the development of a wide-area computer network that could survive a
nuclear war, which led to the birth of the Internet.  For a less abstract
example, consider the use of a logistics program to supply troops in
the field.  Would you want them to starve?

> Must an author permit such military use for a license to be
> DFSG-free?

For the reasons implied above, I say yes.  I stand by Guideline 6.
But the author need not permit anything, the author is free to use the
software as a lever to accomplish anything he or she wants.  I just
think that such use makes the software less free, and freedom of
software is what I care about.

Richard Braakman