Re: [Fwd: Intent to package: pm3]

David Starner wrote:

> At 11:15 PM 7/31/99 -0400, Mike Goldman wrote:
> >PM3: Polytechnique Montreal Modula-3
>
> >The only open question, which I have been discussing on debian-legal, is
> >whether this package needs to go into non-free or whether it can go into
> >main.  The relevant part of the license which causes some concern is:
> [chunk snipped]
> >Presently, I'm inclined to release into main, unless anyone strongly
> >objects.
>
> This has come up before. See
> http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-legal-9901/msg00002.html . In
> summary, there are copyrights buried in the code that are "all rights
> reserved", i.e. non-free to the max.

I looked up this thread, and disagree with your summary.  The only "all
rights reserved" disclaimer was in a file by Digital, which pointed the
reader to the file COPYRIGHT for more information, which, in turn, is
precisely the license which I have previously posted here and which has only
the qualification noted.  There doesn't appear to be any other relevant code
which is covered under a more restrictive license than this.

Though, it is interesting to see that someone else is/was packaging PM3 for
Debian some months ago.  I will drop him a note and see if he is seriously
pursuing this, as I am literally almost ready to go.