SUMMARY: Freeness of Java: decision needs to be taken

On Friday 2 July 1999, at 18 h 4, the keyboard of bruce@perens.com wrote:

> > Jikes belongs to IBM, so they'll may be change their licence
>
> This is quite likely.

I don't know if they did. Let's wait the opinion of the Jikes maintainer. And,
as Nicolas reminded us, Jikes depends (really depends) on JDK's classes, so
even if IBM changes the licence, Jikes will go to contrib and brings all the
Java programs of Debian with it :-(

> > So, should we move *every* Java package to 'contrib'?
>
> If IBM doesn't re-license Jikes.

I've update the proposed Java policy in that respect. Almost all of the Java stuff shuld go into contrib (because most of them fail to compile with guavac or to run with kaffe) and I'll fill in bug reports for that.

http://www.debian.org/~bortz/Java/policy.html