Re: The APSL and Export Controls

Chip Salzenberg writes:
> They're entering into a contract with you.

They are not.  A contract requires consideration on both sides.

> If they did so, the complaint would be entirely specious -- which means
> they just don't like you, in which case they don't need the APSL as an
> excuse.

The whole point of a license is so that they can't stop you from using or
distributing the code just because they don't like you.

> I don't think this is a plausible threat to developers.  Besides, just
> think of the negative PR in the very community they're trying to reach
> out to.  It's unreasonable, IMO, to fear this sort of attack.

I think it is reasonable to fear any possible "attack".  Apple's next
CEO-of-the-month might very well decide that "giving away corporate assets"
with Open Source licensing was a very bad idea and order his lawyers to do
everything possible to break the license.  Easy, with this one.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)