Re: The APSL and Export Controls

First of all, this probably belongs on spi-general if you wanted more than
a bit of rag chewing (ie. gossip).

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 09:48:36PM -0500, Jonathan P Tomer wrote:
> hrm... i was under the impression that the holders of the certification mark
> for 'open source' were spi, not osi. am i wrong? or has spi granted osi the
> right to make the open source certification? or is there some other factor
>From what I understand, SPI owns it and was content to let ESR manage it
until they came to some final decision.  OSI, on the other hand, figure
they own it outright.  They claim that Bruce gave it to them outright.  It
appears, according to the trademark's records, that the transfer didn't
happen.  So we're left with ESR managing the mark for SPI.

> that gives them that right? or has osi just never made a decision heinous
> enough for spi to step in and assert their right over the certification
> mark? i suppose it's not that last, or there would've been outrage by now,
I think it's a question of "how."  War is never pretty and ESR has been
pretty clear he considers the mark his and SPI is just getting in the way
of his lawful business.

> but if it really is the case then something should be done, or spi runs the
> risk of the certification mark falling into the public domain. that would
> suck, because there are (i think) lots of people who'd just love to put the
> mark on their shrinkwrap licence and are only prevented from doing so by the
> certification mark.
This is part that really needs to be addressed to the spi lists...