Re: Recently released QPL

Jonathan,

I understood your intent.

It's laudable.  In fact, I was planning myself to write a license very
like that which you describe.

However, I question that it's necessary.

IMO, it would be a good thing if all free software were GPLed.  I believe
in copyleft.

Now, I respect other authors' right not to copyleft their software.
They can do what they want with it.

However, the GPL's incompatibility is its strength.  People *do*
relicense their software under the GPL when they realise that not doing so
has caused compatibility issues.

It's a more forward-looking approach, in a curious way.

Suppose you, Jonathan, release a really cool library libbar, under your
putative new license.  FiendSoft, Inc. then publish a really cool
modification to it - libbarplus, and release it under a really irritating,
but DFSG-free, license.  They can do this, because your copyleft gave them
permission. Perhaps the Fiend Public License has a patch clause. And an
advertising clause.  Maybe a notification clause, even, if we decide they
are free.

Now, I can't take libbarplus and incorporate it into my GPL'ed
mail-reader.  Even if I was the sole author (and thus could add the
necessary permissions to the GPL), I still wouldn't want to.  Patch
clauses suck.  So do advertising clauses.

I'd probably end up reimplementing libbarplus myself.  And GPL'ing the
result.  Duplication of work - which is bad.  But I'd get a GPL'ed
library, which suits me well.

This is all opinion.  You may not care about the above scenario, or you
may think it's inevitable.  But I do believe that the pressure that the
GPL exerts, because of its incompatibilities, to GPL everything, is a
beneficial one.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |