Re: Recently released QPL

On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 04:00:58AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:

> Don't even try to say that one bad example invalidates the argument.  The
> BSD license on ash is incompatible with libreadline's GPL---is ash
> non-free?  Not according to the DFSG.  And yes, I do directly blame the
> GPL for this.

Then you are a very unreasonable person.

If someone offers you an apple, are you blaiming him that he his not giving
you a full box of apples, and a couple of ornages, too?

This is silly. It is the decision of the libreadline people to use the GPL.
It is the decision of the ash people to use the BSDish license.

If you complain that ash can't use libreadline, blaim the copyrightholder of
ash.

If you complain that libreadline (or bash) can't use ash code, blaim the GPL
and the copyright holder of libreadline/bash.

The ash copyright holder HAS the power to decide that using libreadline gets
possible, by offering GPL as (alternative) license.

As long as you can't attribute responsibilities, this is EOD for me.

Thanks,
Marcus