Re: The APSL and Export Controls

On Sat, Mar 27, 1999 at 09:51:11AM -0500, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > I think you're quite right, this is another thing that makes the APSL
> > non-free. There's even precedent; IIRC packages have been kicked out of
> > debian in the past for having copyrights that explicitly said they couldn't
> > be used in embargoed countries.
>
> For those of you who don't kno me:  I'm a member of the board of OSI.

You mean the board isn't just Eric?  I certainly couldn't find you
mentioned anywhere on the website when I last looked.  In fact I could
only find Eric.

> Speaking for myself, not on behalf of OSI: Yes, this part of the APSL
> needs to change.  We're working with Apple on APSL mods, and the export
> limit provision is already on the agenda.

OSI has already spoken and called the license (which fails the OSD) Open
Source.  If you disagree with this, maybe you should do something about
it?  That is, if you actually can (which I somehow highly doubt)

> Unfortunately, Apple _is_ a large corporation; I don't expect to see
> changes in the APSL quickly.  It'll take a few months at least before
> APSL 1.1 (or 2.0? :-)) is released.

Pheh.

(if all of the above seems really cynnical and confrontational, IT IS.
OSI gets and shall continue to get _NO RESPECT_ from me until Eric
Raymond stops trying to sell out and call everything Open Source that
will get his name on Slashdot and the mainstream trade rags.  If the Open
Source Definition is going to be ignored, it should be removed and the
lot of you should quit pretending to represent the community.  I _DO NOT_
like liars and that is exactly what you people at OSI are doing, lying to
me.)

<Chalky> gcc is the best compressor ever ported to linux. it can turn
         12MB of kernel source (and that's .debbed) into a 500k kernel