Re: What exactly is Derivative ?

I wrote:
> No.  Gcc *reads* the header files in the compilation process.

> People...  this tangent into the inner-workings of gcc is really
> irrelevant.

> I think it's fair to say that in the general case the contents of the
> header files are an important part of the source code for a program.

We are addressing the question of whether the object code is a derivative
of the header files.  The answer depends on whether or not the header files
are in some sense in the object code.

To address your point, "importance" is irrelevant to copyright.  My
critique of your novel is meaningless without your novel, but that fact
has no bearing on the question of whether my critique is a derivative of
your novel.