Re: What exactly is Derivative ?

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 21:28:55 +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> However, the FSF was usccesful to enforce the release of source code under
> the terms of the GPL because of this in the past, so nobody seems to take
> the risk. (For example, ncftp was linked with libreadline).

ncftp is developed by a small (single-person?) company, which probably
doesn't have the resources to fight the GPL.

IMO, there is a much more telling examples in the case of a big company;
quoting http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html:
:Consider GNU Objective C. NeXT initially wanted to make this front end
:proprietary; they proposed to release it as .o files, and let users link
:them with the rest of GCC, thinking this might be a way around the GPL's
:requirements. But our lawyer said that this would not evade the
:requirements, that it was not allowed. And so they made the Objective C
:front end free software.

Ray
--
Tevens ben ik van mening dat Nederland overdekt dient te worden.