Re: What exactly is Derivative ?

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 03:19:22AM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:

> |  It is permissible to compile non-free programs with GCC. Compiling a
> |  program with GCC and distributing the binary does not require you to
> |  make the program free software or release its source code. This is
> |  because the run-time library included with GCC comes with special
> |  permission to link it with your compiled programs without restriction.
> |  The legal rules for using the output from GCC are the determined by
> |  the program that you are compiling, not by GCC.
>
> This must mean that the FSF does not think that the object code
> produced by gcc is a deriviative of the machine description used.

No. This means that the FSF is giving explicit permission to link with the
runtime code, although they consider the executable to be a derived work
from the run time code ("special permission" above).

It is, and was always, the opinion of the FSF that linking code A to code B
does yield a derived work from both, A and B. Otherwise, the difference
between GPL and LGPL would not make sense. (I have mail from RMS where he is
saying this, and I can post it to you if you like).

It seems you disagree, but before this is tested in court, we don't know.
However, the FSF was usccesful to enforce the release of source code under
the terms of the GPL because of this in the past, so nobody seems to take
the risk. (For example, ncftp was linked with libreadline).

Thanks,
Marcus