Re: Proposed Grail and JPython Licenses

Henning Makholm writes:
> Does this mean that one has to actively "request release" (contact
> CNRI in some way?) before one is a "Licensee" by this definition?

I don't think so.  I think that if they put the package up on their web
site and say to the world "Have at it!" that the law would deem anyone who
downloads a copy a licensee.  I agree that the paragraph is poorly worded,
though.

> Is there any legal reason why disclaimers are always being presented in
> this obfuscated typography?

To emphasize it, so you cannot later claim not to have noticed it because
it was in fine print.  And because everyone else does it.

IMHO such disclaimers are superfluous on gratis software.