Re: GPLed gettext.

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Santiago Vila wrote:
>
> > gettext had a security problem, Bug #28850, which has been fixed by
> > Vincent Renardias in gettext_0.10.35-6.1 (NMU). (Thanks Vincent).
> >
> > However, the fix consisted in copying a set of files from libc,
> > which is LGPLed, into gettext, which is GPLed.
> >
> > May be this really be done? (I think not).
>
> Good spotting (I didn't noticed this).
> However, these are the gettext/intl/*.[ch] and glibc/intl/*.[ch] are the
> same files. It just happens that the glibc version is more recent. AFAIK,
> a part of gettext has been relicenced from GPL to LGPL to allow it's
> inclusion in glibc. So I'm not sure if this is really a big problem,
> considering it fixes a security bug.

I just wanted to be sure about the right thing to do.

So I have taken the diffs between 0.10.35-6 and 0.10.35-6.1 and I have
removed all the bogus differences due to different licensing, so that no
original "This is GPLed" lines are modified.

Fortunately it has been easier than I thought, and I will probably upload
a new gettext very soon.

Thanks for the input.

--
 "30dd5550f2273d9832ccf33fabf6efb7" (a truly random sig)