Re: Zope license

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 11:02:36PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > In terms of zope, Bruce will be asking them to consider making the
> > requirement a suggestion - so don't go flaming them :-)
>
> I'd like to add that I was and am in contact with Paul Everitt of
> Digital Creations <Paul@digicool.com> about the Zope license since
> late December. These mails are archived in the debian-email archive on
> master.
>
> I already suggested to Paul changing the attribution requirement into
> a non-binding voluntary request for a few reasons. He is very
> reluctant to do so, since he said that attribution of Zope is the
> most important point for DC's Open Source business model.
>
> I invited Paul to join the discussion on debian-legal.

Paul,

I'd like to suggest two alternative attribution strategies:

1) Honestly, voluntary attribution works.  People really *are* inclined to
credit the software which makes their website tick (How many websites have
you seen saying 'made with ...'?).

2) Modify the 'Server' response header on Zope-generated pages.  For
example, mine says (rather tautologously...)

Server: mod_perl/1.17 Apache/1.3.4 (Unix) Debian/GNU mod_perl/1.17

You could make that

Server: Apache/1.3.4 (Unix) Zope/1.0

And then it would be counted in things like the netcraft survey, which
would get your company plenty of exposure.

Regards,

Jules Bean