Motif & GPL (was: Re: Your petition to GPL Qt)

(recipients trimmed to just debian-legal)

On Tue, Dec 22, 1998 at 01:22:15AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> > [0] For example, we distribute GPLed binaries linked against Motif. We
> >     do this because Sun has. Maybe we shouldn't. Maybe Qt is the same,
> >     and we shouldn't do that either. But then, if Qt's DFSG free (which
> >     it will be as of v2, by the looks of things), maybe we should add
> >     Qt support, and dump Motif support. Or maybe not.
> Excuse me?
> Which binaries are you refering to?
> I thought we'd gone over this months ago and that all such binaries had
> been pulled or replaced with binaries linked against Lesstif.

I didn't have any in mind in particular, I was just going on what
I remembered.

Having a look through dselect lists:
	ddd and (in contrib) ddd-smotif ddd-dmotif
	xacc and (in non-free) xacc-smotif

..and a few mozilla's and netscapes. Both ddd and xacc are GPLed, though.

There may be others -- I was only grepping for "motif", but these are
all in both slink and potato on master.

Perhaps these packages are exceptions in some way, though?

Cheers,
aj