Re: Postfix

Wietse Venema writes:
> It is my understanding that the intention was for IBM to help, not to
> destroy.

I understand that and appreciate it.   You must understand, though, that we
take the Debian Free Software Guidelines very seriously.  They are at the
core of what Debian is, and we cannot alter them or make exceptions to them
without a consensus of all 350+ developers.

> The PKIX software that was released around the same time didn't
> have a termination clause. See:

>       http://web.mit.edu/pfl/jonah-license.html

> This is a very similar license otherwise.

> We could go either for the PKIX license or for a clarification on
> the Postfix one.

In my opinion the PKIX license complies with the Debian Free Software
Guidelines and software published under it could go into the Debian
distribution.

I also think that the PKIX license is Open Source compliant, but of course
you will need to check with Eric on that.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)