Re: Postfix

LaMont Jones writes:
> Unfortunately, failure to include such a clause really increases the
> exposure of the author to successful infringement claims: you may
> suddenly become responsible for the actions of everyone you gave the
> software to, since you granted them license to things you didn't own.

If the infringement is innocent and the author promptly notifies the
recipients I find it hard to believe that a court will hold him responsible
for their subsequent actions.  Can you cite some precedents?  And he did
not grant them a license to things he does not own.  He granted them a
license for his software.

> If you use DFSG compliant software which is found to be infringing on a
> third parties IP, you still have no license...

Yes you do.  You may need to acquire another license in order to exercise
it, but you have a license.

> This revocation of the license shall apply only to the possibly
> infringing intellectual property, and not the rest of the Software.

This still implies that IBM may revoke because of a mere threat of action.

> If you are able to directly resolve the claim with the plaintif, you may
> continue to use and distribute the Software under the terms of this
> agreement, as further restricted by the claim resolution.

This, on the other hand, refers to the plaintiff, implying that a suit has
actually been filed (but not necessarily settled).  It also doesn't really
seem to do anything, since in the absence of such a clause I can still
continue to use and distribute the Software if (and only if) I am able to
resolve the claim directly with the owner of the infringed IP.

I think I see what you are trying to do here, but you need to rephrase it.