Re: IBM Jikes license

Bruce Perens <bruce@pixar.com> wrote:
> Sengan, myself, and a few others have been working on this for months.
> There are some people at IBM who are really into making _more_ software
> Open Source. Please be nice to them.

For better or worse, we have a proposed re-write of the DFSG being
considered (and it's been being worked on for quite a while).

This rewrite would indicate that software is not DFSG if the copyright
holder is also the patent holder and in some way restricts the
distribution of the software based on the patents.

We've not accepted this rewrite yet, and we may never do so.

However, this whole situation does indicate that "openness" or
"freedom" exist on a spectrum, and aren't black and white issues.

--
Raul