Re: Debian 11 freezes on Dell Latitude e6520

On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 11:47:27AM +0100, Miguel Ortiz Lombardía
> Now, since Debian 11 was released earlier this year, I've been
> testing its behaviour on the machine. Unfortunately, even with the
> latest live image, including non-free firmware, the test is not
> passed. The computer boots well and the graphical interface (I
> tried my usual xfce, but also mate) appears neat and working.
> However, after a few moments varying from few seconds to no more
> than a couple of minutes, the system freezes completely. Impossible
> to open a console, there is no answer at all, only physical
> shutdown is possible.

On 26.12.21 16:41, Miguel Ortiz Lombardía wrote:
The computer has 8 Gb memory, a lot more than enough to load the image.
The graphics are NVIDIA 4200M, with drivers provided, under Debian 10,
by the legacy deb packages.

apparently this requires nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver and its dependencies.
I have no idea if these are available on live CD.

Of course, I could try upgrading directly from Debian 10 and rely on
the backups if something goes wrong. As said, I did that for previous
releases... but only after having successfully made a test with the live
image.

But you gave me one idea: I'll try the “standard” live image, without
any graphics and try to build from that to see what happens.

if you can make the live image to use nvidia-390x driver, it should work.

Silvester Stallone: Father of the RISC concept.