Re: Current Corresponding Ubuntu Version

Joshua Blagden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Handbrake from the official Handbrake repository so I
> can get a newer version than the one in the Debian Testing repository. I
> would just use the one from the Debian Testing repository, but it has a
> terrible memory leak problem, to the point where if you have it render
> enough previews, it'll exhaust your system's memory and quit. I think I just
> need to choose the right branch of the Handbrake repository. Unfortunately,
> it's geared toward Ubuntu, so you have to choose the Ubuntu codename which
> corresponds to the version of Debian that you're running. I'm running Debian
> Testing* and I usually update every couple days to keep everything running
> smoothly. Which version of Ubuntu does Debian Testing currently correspond
> to?

It doesn't.

Ubuntu's schedule is (IIRC) to release twice a year, and every 2
years makes a .04 release into a long-term-support version.

Debian's schedule is to release stable (approximating what
Ubuntu thinks of as LTS, but Debian uses that term differently)
whenever stable is ready.

In addition to stable, there is backports, unstable and testing.

backports is available to add to each stable release, so for
example buster is stable right now, so buster-backports can be
added to it.

unstable and testing are complete distributions, but you are
advised not to use them if you don't know why you are using
them.

Packages in unstable are freshly compiled and have no security
support. You should expect them to change rapidly, have major
bugs, and not have those bugs fixed quickly.

After a package has been in unstable for 2-10 days (depending on the
urgency of the upload), and the package has been built for all the
architectures which the present version in testing was built for, and
Installing the package into testing will not make the distribution more
uninstallable, and the package is not known to introduce new release
critical bugs... it can go into testing.

Testing is cyclic: right now, it is relatively quiet (for a
sample desktop, 1-50 package updates a day) because it is
getting close to release time.

At release time, stable becomes oldstable, testing becomes
stable. The major version is incremented.

And soon after that release, testing will become a near-anarchy
for the next year or three.

Hope that helps.

Also, read
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian