Dell Inspiron 17 3000 Series 3785 problem with X

Greetings,

i've been an avid debian user for more than 2 decades at this point and just

bought myself my first laptop. It and buster are new enough that a quick web

search didn't show me much. Apologies if questions of this sort have been

asked before (i subscribed myself to the list instead of doing an extensive

search (i did check for 'dell 3785' and none of the results seemed like they

were particularly helpful)).

So i managed to install successfully (the LVM level encryption option seems

very excellent -- that's what i chose) but when i restarted, the machine hung.

Gnome Display Manager tried to briefly start. No GUI appeared though -- only a

momentary flicker of the screen (with no mouse pointer, only a blinking

underscore at the top left of the display) before reverting to command line

output. After dropping back to the command line, no login prompt is available (nor am i able to access any other consoles via ctrl-alt-Fn nor alt-Fn key combinations. Fortunately i am able to get a root prompt in rescue mode, so i'm

hopeful (that with the help of some of you kind people) that i will be able to

succeed in getting my preferred KDE desktop environment to eventually load.

I have several questions:

How do i enable networking from the command line? i assume i can do this in

rescue mode? i was able to connect to my wireless network during the install,

but if it's easier to plug in an ethernet cable, i'm happy to try that instead

(DHCP is enabled (both wireless and ethernet end up in the same network at my home), though i'm willing to set a static IP also).

What log files should i be looking for on this newly installed buster machine?

My guess is that i may have to install some proprietary non-free firmware

packages (which i'm OK with). My quick web search indicated that ubuntu ought

to work, but i'd rather stick with debian (though it's possible that at some

point in the future i'll cry uncle). Would it be helpful for me to boot from a live DVD (either debian or ubuntu) in order to troubleshoot this problem?

thanks so very much for any assistance/insight anyone is able to provide,

~e